The Problem With Mold

Mildew and Molds are a form of fungi. Mildew is often considered mold in its early stage. They are simple microscopic organisms that thrive anywhere there is a moist environment. Mold can cause serious health problems, including  structural damage to a home when a property has experienced flooding. Mold can grow on wood products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, carpet, drywall, fabric, plants, food, insulation, decaying leaves and other organic materials. Mold can grow on a damp surface within 24-48 hours. Molds digest organic material, eventually destroying the material they grow on, and then spread to destroy adjacent organic material. Mold in your home needs to be taken seriously and should not be ignored.

In addition to property damage, mold can cause mild to serious health problems. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) lists the following health problems.

  • Respiratory Problems – sneezing, asthma attacks, etc.
  • Nasal and sinus congestion or dry, hacking cough
  • Eye irritation – burning, watery, redness
  • Nose or throat irritation – rashes or hives
  • Nervous system – headaches, memory loss, mood changes
  • Aches and pains

The more serious health problems have been associated with Stachybotrys chartarum (atra), a highly toxic mold. The mold is a greenish-black and slimy, resembling tar or black paint. Stachybotrys typically grows only on repeatedly wetted materials that contain cellulose like paper and ceiling tiles, and any kind of wood.

At Mihalko’s Fire and Water Restoration, we have a professional team with experience in dealing with this dangerous substance. The key term is time. We urge you not to wait and continue to expose you and your family to the possible health risks that we have mentioned. Contact us today. We have three locations located in Johnstown, Altoona and Latrobe.


Article Source – FEMA , Picture Source – FEMA

Leave a comment

Call Now Button877-596-7042